Current:Home > reviewsMaui mayor dismisses criticism of fire response, touts community's solidarity -ProgressCapital
Maui mayor dismisses criticism of fire response, touts community's solidarity
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 07:25:57
A month after wildfires destroyed parts of Maui, killing at least 115 people and displacing thousands of others, Mayor Richard Bissen said there is still a long road ahead for residents but was confident their solidarity would move them forward.
Bissen spoke with ABC News about the latest recovery updates for the island and remarked how residents have worked to assist those who were most affected by the wildfires.
"What we’re seeing in our community is overwhelming support," he said. "As devastating as this has been, people are changing their priorities."
MORE: Maui slowly edges toward rebuilding 1 month after the deadly wildfires
As of Friday, the mayor said that roughly 6,000 people are living in 29 hotels and hundreds more are living in short-term housing. The plan is to get more people into those short-term housing.
"[We'll] get them out of hotel rooms, [and] get them into places where they can have a washer and dryer kitchen. So I know that's the plan for the 18-month-period," the mayor said.
Bissen dismissed criticism from some residents who have complained that they are not being assisted as they navigate the situation. The mayor acknowledged that some people will have their frustrations and concerns but he said that he and other officials are listening.
"I want to meet with our folks and hear from them," he said.
Bissen added that he's encouraging residents to talk more with their neighbors and other people in the community and not stick with social media for information.
"We're stronger together. We know what we want. This is our island, our community, and we're going to decide on that and not have other influences tell us how we should or need to be," he said.
MORE: Lahaina's children and their families, uprooted by wildfires, grapple with an unknown future
Hawaii Gov. Josh Green told reporters Friday that the number of people missing since the fire was 66. Green also said that travel restrictions to West Maui would be lifted on Oct. 8, a week earlier than the original plan.
The mayor said that tourism is still an important part of the island's economy and said visitors should still come to Hawaii and explore the parts of Maui that are not off limits.
"I think that we know that people need jobs. We know people need income," he said.
Bissen reiterated that he and other leaders will be there for the residents for as long as it takes and he is proud of the strength they have shown so far.
"I think our entire community is resilient. Our entire community from young to old. I think a lot of that is a reflection of who they're around," he said.
ABC News' Meredith Deliso contributed to this report.
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Conservancy, landlord headed to mediation amid ongoing rent dispute for historic ocean liner
- Rachel Zoe and Rodger Berman, Tom Brady and Gisele Bündchen and More Who Split After Decades Together
- Man drives pickup truck onto field at Colorado Buffaloes' football stadium
- British swimmer Adam Peaty: There are worms in the food at Paris Olympic Village
- Fast-moving fire roars through Philadelphia warehouse
- The Daily Money: Dispatches from the DEI wars
- Former President Barack Obama surprises Team USA at Solheim Cup
- A New York Appellate Court Rejects a Broad Application of the State’s Green Amendment
- Usher Shares His Honest Advice for Pal Justin Bieber After Welcoming Baby
Ranking
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Sony unveils the newest PlayStation: the PS5 Pro. See the price, release date, specs
- Disney, DirecTV reach agreement in time for college football Week 3
- Dancing With the Stars' Artem Chigvintsev Responds to Nikki Garcia’s Divorce Filing
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- The Best Amazon Fashion Deals Right Now: 72% Off Sweaters, $13 Dresses, $9 Tops & More
- Sam Bankman-Fried’s lawyers claim in an appeal that he was judged too quickly
- Minnesota election officials make changes to automatic voter registration system after issues arise
Recommendation
Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
Lil Wayne feels hurt after being passed over as Super Bowl halftime headliner. The snub ‘broke’ him
No pressure, Mauricio Pochettino. Only thing at stake is soccer's status in United States
Ian McKellen says Harvey Weinstein once apologized for 'stealing' his Oscar
The 'Rebel Ridge' trailer is here: Get an exclusive first look at Netflix movie
Video shows worker at Colorado Panera stop enraged customer with metal pizza paddle
No pressure, Mauricio Pochettino. Only thing at stake is soccer's status in United States
'I'm shooketh': Person finds Lego up nose nearly 26 years after putting it there as kid